I recall a few months ago, when I was in Singapore on vacation with Ebeth around October 2012, I asked for a sense of meaning and fulfillment in the workplace. For months, I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything of significance to the organization that I work for. For months, I felt so demotivated as I can't seem to figure out what exactly I was supposed to do from a bigger perspective. I felt like I was just coming to the office, reading and writing mails, and not having that sense of purpose, motivation, and happiness that I use to have at work, specially in the last 2 years before I got promoted way back in 2010.
Everything changed in May 2013. It was triggered by a heated discussion with an overseas client. Deadlines swarmed towards me. Unfinished work started to pile up. My boss wasn't helpful, and made things worse. Inbox starts to reach more than 500 unread emails, and I came to a point where I had to hustle on a daily basis, and felt like I was overdoing myself, stressing out every bit of muscle that I have in my body while I was only simply seated on an office chair. It felt like it was among the most challenging points in my career life in P&G as I find myself longing for a hug and a good talk with my wife, each and every single day after extended work hours.
Despite this challenging times, I began to have realizations that maybe all of these happened for a reason. Then I started to think---
1) It made me realize how much I love my wife, and how much she loves me back, which I may have ,kind of, taken for granted in the past few years given that I've always felt that I I've always given more in our relationship since I am willing to give everything for my wife but never gave her a chance to reciprocate it. It was very refreshing, how she showed me such great support during these trying times despite having her own set of challenges at work. She offered me her ear and her heart, and helped me hang on and live through the challenges. It was exactly what I needed during that time--someone to tell me to hang on, love myself more...and everything will be fine.
2) It made me realize that I need to value my work and have a conscious effort to put myself back on track when everything start to seem overwhelming for me to handle. It made me realize how I am really empowered to be in charge of my career. I am empowered to choose if I want to be significant or not.
3) It made me realize that what I started experiencing from May 2013 onwards, was apparently a the exact answer to my prayer in October 2013.
I am not as OK as I want myself to be now, but I know things are looking up and I'll be back on track soon.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment